Monday 6 June 2011

rEaDiNg ReDeFiNeD!! - tWiLiGhT aNd hArRy pOtTeR

Now I may not be the first person to be speaking about it as I am sure millions of people have already written tonnes of pages on it which can be easily read via the Internet. I am not here to criticize one over the other though I do have a soft spot or rather the softest spot for Harry Potter.

And obviously we have millions of fans who are awaiting the release of both these movies since it brings an epic end to both the series, but there is something that cannot be denied. These books changed the way people began to read. We did have the Nancy Drew's and Goosebumps but I guess nothing in the living times can compare to the world wide phenomenon that these books have created.

People have read and re-read these series and we have maniacs who cover the slightest of details that you and me might miss. It has practically changed the way fiction is viewed in these times. All fiction and non-fiction works today are blatantly compared to these series with or without any similarities only because nobody has been able to live upto the rage these books have created.

No child, teenager, adult and grandpas and grandmas are untouched by the hysteria these books have created. You might not like it but you sure as hell-cannot ignore it!!

My friends who hate to read have gone on and read these series-which is saying something!! and which proves the point highlighted above. Millions of copies, DVDs sold and obviously the money generated by it has been hard to swallow. My mum has not read any of them but she hates them to the core. It is because as soon as I begin to read my favorite HP series, she wants to rip the books and burn the pieces-oooohhh!! that might mean she likes Twilight!! but I guess I'm wrong because she wants to rip the book and burn the pieces for the sole reason that I act as if my memory is modified-I become dizzy and do not understand a word addressed to me. I do not wish to eat of drink as it thoroughly disturbs my concentration while reading which is why my mum hates it in the first place.

And I understand that, because if you haven't read it-there is no way you can understand the effect it has on people. After the first time I read HP-I wanted to be a witch(if you hadn't read HP-calling someone a witch would have been a disgusting and demeaning address) and after i was through with Twilight saga I wanted to be a vampire or even a werewolf- After all who would not want to have looks like Edward, that is to say; looks to die for or a were wolfish warmth about yourself.

I guess these are just ways to live out your fantasies. Imagining things that cannot actually happen.

PS I wish I could go to Hogwarts :) 

4 comments:

  1. i wish i could go to hogwarts as well!!!!! while reading HP, its like we are there only...in there world...as if everything's happening in front of our eyes....it has gripped the entire world!!!!11

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure it has..i might actually be better than hermoine granger :) from wat i have learnt in defence against dark arts , charms ,transfiguration and care of magical creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why the article is titled as versus when no comparisons are drawn ?the article was more abt HP than twilight. good work anyways!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am biased towards HP..it is bound to show somewhere or the other.

    ReplyDelete